Brett Anderson
Threads:  Previous Next
flashback: my Tabernacle concert photos
Posted by: Jackie
Date: November 10, 2009 06:28PM
I selected a dozen for you.

the support band: Cult with No Name
For some reason their music reminded me of a cross between ABC and Cousteau. I explain: singer Eric looks a bit like Martin Fry and as an electronic band they do sound a bit 80ies, however the layering and effects that Eric was doing with his laptop reminded me of Cousteau who as you know, liked doing soundscapes. I wonder if in a few years time, we'll be hearing these guys making music using an orchestra. Eric is a nice chap as well, it was cool to meet him so best wishes of success to him and Cult with No Name.

You can make friends with them and listen to their music on this link: www.myspace.com/cwnn

Re: flashback: my Tabernacle concert photos
Date: November 10, 2009 06:33PM
That really is a wonderful camera you have.

Date: November 10, 2009 06:44PM
oh thanks! There is one picture from the set that looks totally surreal and I love it. I'll put it in the end.

I like Brett's expression on these two photos

Date: November 10, 2009 06:53PM

Posted by: 88skido
Date: November 10, 2009 06:58PM
Best one of Seb ever !

x
Date: November 10, 2009 07:41PM
Thank you, Vanessa :)

Sebastian is a lovely man. His drumming on "Summer" still rings in my head.

Date: November 10, 2009 07:52PM

The first picture was taken during "Summer" and you can see Didz and Jim singing backing vocals. That's a song to look out for in the forthcoming live shows.
Date: November 10, 2009 08:04PM

Date: November 10, 2009 08:19PM
some more before the last batch

Date: November 10, 2009 08:33PM

Date: November 10, 2009 08:39PM

That's my fave photo from the set.
Date: November 10, 2009 08:51PM
Beautiful :)

Date: November 14, 2009 04:47PM
Thank you, Rousseau World, for your kind comment. I hope you enjoy the radio session next week!

---

Here are my comments on Slow Attack

Brett Anderson - Slow Attack (BA songs 2009)

In a recent interview with the Independent magazine, singer-songwriter Brett Anderson says: "This record is the next step on the twisted path I am travelling on.... I need the buzz of going somewhere else.". For six months, so writes Eliza Bray from the Independent "You would find Brett Anderson on the top of his house in his "creative space" surrounded by a mess of posters and music. The piano had to be craned to the fith floor. The writing months begin in January. "I do find winter quite inspiring because of London is so extreme, so bleak and potentially depressing that you need to have a mental space throw yourself into work." The other half of the year, he claims to do little other than lie on the couch reading - but it works in terms of the sheer output - his prolific songwriting has seen an album a year since his debut solo set in 2007." Slow Attack like its predecessor "Wilderness" is released via Brett Anderson's own label BA songs.

It is always good to know about external factors and background information. In the interview, we can also read that Brett has been enjoying walks in the countryside of Ibiza, listening to the soundtracks by Gustavo Santaolalla and "The Black Swan" by Bert Jansch as well as finding inspiration with poetry by Ted Hughes and Seamus Heaney. "With Hughes poems, it's not a beautiful pastoral thing, it's a bleak brutal vision of the countryside. He and Seamus Heaney have that twisted vision of the countryside that I like. I wanted to write about a different take on the world."

The correlation between landscapes and human nature has been explored by countless poets, writers and musicians. After all, don't we talk about human nature and emotional landscape? It is true that nature influences our moods. Snow in February and ice on roads make us shiver and wish the world was a warmer place, literally and metaphorically. On some days, we feel that we could hibernate all day, and thus want to be left sleeping. However, the spectacle of a changing sky or wildlife in flight may bring up feelings of admiratioon. Just three examples, and you can hear them in "Frozen Roads" "Leave me sleeping" and "Swans". But this album is more than reflections on nature and the human condition. In fact, the lyrics are only part of the story.

"I wanted to have the lyrics married to the mood of the music. Lots of fans listen to the lyrics and for them the lyrics dominate the music and I wanted to redress the balance". On the Babel Soundtrack, Gustavo Santaolalla conjures up a vast and colourful soundscape without words. Landscapes and soundscapes, journeys into the wilderness of our times, everyday images that become metaphors. Music and words are allies to bring us listeners into this world.

The piano-led demos, the preview, the single. the rehearsal, the concert pointed at enjoyable songs and melodies. In order to fully appreciate Slow Attack, one needs to think outside the box of conventional pop and rock music; easy for me because in the world of independent music anything is possible. It's a strange album, but it's an album of very listenable strangeness. One would be at loss to pinpoint a genre to it, it's a song-led album that has elements of classical, folk, pop, soundtrack. It's much quieter than the live concerts and the instrumentation is different. Anyone who likes to play spot the instrument will be delighted to listen to this. How well do you know your woodwinds? There are quite a few on there, but every sound slots in well. I have a soft spot for the aquarion on Ashes of Us, this song conjures images of wind-chimes tinkling. The structures of the songs are simple, voice and instruments form memorable melodies. The production by Leo Abraham is as clear as ice and very warm-hearted. It's moody, atmospheric, colourful full of wildlife and full of life, likeable and quite poetic...

"It is really exciting when I release an album," says Brett Anderson to Elisa Bray from the Independent "It feels like life has a purpose. When you look back and notch up what you haven and haven't done. it's a good thing to have written songs and made people happy."

credits:
All songs by Brett Anderson and Leo Abrahams
musicians:
Brett Anderson: singing and additional guitar
Leo Abraham: guitars, bass, piano, hurdy-gurdy, percussion, marxophone, aquarion,
Amy Langley: cello and additional backing vocals
Daniel Jemison: Basoon
Marcus Bates: French horn
Jack Pinter: clarinet, alto flute, bass flute
Kate St John: Oboe, cor anglais
Phil Wilkinson: drums and percussion
Sleeve photographs: Paul Khera and Viva Zaccari
further info: www.brettanderson.co.uk
Date: November 14, 2009 04:50PM
Marxophone:

Similar instrument as in The Third Man ;)
Date: November 14, 2009 04:51PM
Aquarion/Glass Marimba

Date: November 14, 2009 04:52PM
Date: November 14, 2009 05:00PM

Bassoon

Alto flute

French horn

Cor Anglais

I think that between the live pictures and those here, I have now all the instruments from this album.

Someone must have been feeling like a kid in a sweet-shop with all these beautiful objects.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum.